Its that time of year when the seasons have changed. I am writing this in the shop its 20 to 4 and its darker outside, the rain is coming down and people are starting to pick up bugs.
So what do you do to keep your immune system firing for the next few months.
Here are some of my thoughts for you.
Maintain a daily dose of Vitamin C !000mg daily
Solgar Ester C is one of the best vitamin C in the world in terms of absorption and how long it stays working in your body.
If you want to totally
Take alongside a good daily multivitamin.
VITAMIN C is known to be a potent immune stimulating nutrient. It has been shown to inhibit viral replication and may reduce
theseverityofthecommoncold. A study of one hundred and sixty-
eight volunteers were randomized to receive a placebo or a vitamin C supplement, two tablets daily,
over a 60-day period. The results showed that vitamin C supplement may prevent the
common cold and shorten the duration of symptoms. Research
has shown that supplementation with the Ester–C provides an effective way to build vitamin C reserves in the important immuno–competent cells of the blood; even when modest doses (one gram) are used.
OLIVE LEAF has been for treatment of fevers and for the topical treatment of wounds or infection. Olive leaf may be a true anti-viral compound because it appears to selectively block an entire virus-specific system in the infected host.
ECHINACEA is regarded as the mother of all immune supporting herbals, Echinacea provides a broad spectrum of effects on the immune system and appears to offer benefit for all infectious conditions. Echinacea has shown to be effective against various viral infections including the common cold, influenza and herpes virus, and uro-genital infections. Research has demonstrated that Echinacea reduces severity of cold symptoms, time between infections, and increased the speed of recovery.
ELDERBERRY is noted for its potent effects on the non- specific immune response, gently stimulating sweating during a fever, regulating temperature control, and so resolving infection more quickly and with less severe symptoms.
Astragalus – My favourite herb.
- ADAPTOGENIC – Astragalus is a tonic herb and exerts anti-stress effects helping to build energy, strengthen digestion, improve memory, learning, and resistance to disease.
- Astragalus has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of symptoms in acute treatment of the common cold aswell as raise white blood cell counts. Astragalus works by stimulating several factors of the immune system: phagocytic activity, interferon production, and natural killer cell activity, T-cell activity, and other anti viral mechanisms.
- Extracts of astragalus have been shown to alleviate liver injury and protect the patic cells from pathological changes. Astragalus has demonstrated positive effects in protecting the kidneys from acute renal injury.
Garlic has been used since time immemorial as a culinary spice and medicinal herb. Garlic has been cultivated in the Middle East for more than 5,000 years and has been an important part of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- ANTI-MICROBIAL – garlic exerts broad-spectrum effects against many types of bacteria, virus, worms, and fungi.
- IMMUNE BOOSTING – garlic possesses immune enhancing properties. Garlic exerts a strong anti- viral response to the influenza virus, herpes simplex 1 & 2, vaccinia virus, vesicular stomatitis virus, and the human rhinovirus type 2.
is found in every cell of the body and is a component in over 200 enzymes. In fact, zinc functions in more enzymatic reactions than any other mineral. The average body contains a total of 1.4 to 2.5 grams of zinc, where it is stored primarily in muscle 65% of the total is highly concentrated in red and white blood cells. Other tissues with high zinc concentrations include bone, skin, kidneys, liver, pancreas, retina and prostate.
IMMUNE FUNCTION – zinc is involved in virtually every aspect of immunity.
Zinc like vitamin C, also possesses direct antiviral action. This includes antiviral activity against several viruses that cause the common cold.
A double blind trial demonstrated lozenge’s containing zinc significantly reduced the average duration of the common cold by seven days.
MALE SEXUAL FUNCTION – Zinc used in virtually every aspect of male reproduction, including hormone metabolism, sperm formation and sperm motility.
ACNE – Several double blind studies have shown zinc yields similar results to tetracycline in superficial acne and superior results in deeper acne. Zinc is required for the effective release and utilisation of vitamin A from liver storage. Vitamin A is a highly beneficial nutrient in acne treatment protocols.