Viridian Maximum Strength Adaptogenic Complex 90 Capsules
What does Viridans Maximum Potency Adaptogen Complex Do?
• Chinese Red (Korean) Ginseng - The most well known of all adaptogens. Has been used Worldwide to increase stamina, beat fatigue, and as a general health tonic. Korean ginseng contains a group of terpenoid compounds called ginsenosides, which are believed to be key to ginseng’s activity. Ginseng is known to reduce the levels of stress hormones released during a normal stress response, which can protect against and reverse the negative impact that such hormones have upon our health. Several clinical trials, such as that conducted by Caso et al (1996:323), have supported the stress management claims. Clinical studies have also shown positive results in improving motor functions and mental performance (D’Angelo et al, 1986: 15). It is important to note that ginseng can be extremely stimulating, and maybe considered ‘too much’ for those in a highly strung, uptight stressed state.
• Siberian Ginseng - Siberian Ginseng is considered by many to be the ‘Universal adaptogen’, as it seems to suit everyone in almost every situation. It doesn't stimulate, and it doesn't sedate. Hailing from Russia, it has been traditionally used for over 4000 years as a general health tonic, to increase appetite and aid memory. It contains a potent group of compounds called eleutherosides which early studies revealed cap the levels of stress hormones that are released during the stress response (Brekhman & Kirillov, 1969:113). Siberian ginseng is also renowned for offering considerable support to the immune system - something that always suffers during bouts of stress, as elevated cortisol causes a lowering of white blood cell count. Clinical trials using siberian ginseng have demonstrated significant increases in total white blood cell count, with T-lymphocytes being the most drastically increased (Bohn et al, 1987:1193). Siberian ginseng is also known to make cells more sensitive to insulin signaling, so that they pull in glucose much faster and create ATP more effectively. This may be why Siberian ginseng is so energising without being a stimulant.
• Damiana - Damiana has a long standing tradition as a herb that can lift mood in highly stressed individuals. It also has gained quite a reputation as an aphrodisiac, particularly in men. One of the key things that makes damiana an important addition to this blend, is its ability to regulate blood sugar levels. Damiana has a tendency to slightly lower blood sugar levels. During the stress response, our blood sugar levels go through vast peaks and troughs, which can make our moods fluctuate, our energy levels dip, and generally make it harder for us to deal with the daily stresses and strains, which in turn leads to us getting more stressed and so the cycle continues.
• Yerba Mate - Mate is actually a species of holly that is consumed on a regular basis in Brazil. It is very often used as an alternative to coffee and is relied upon as a fast acting ‘pick me up’. The Alkaloid content of this plant is key to its activity. Caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline are all known to increase cardiac function (Barnes et al,2002:333), which in turn enhances circulation to all tissues, helping to increase oxygen delivery.
• Suma - Suma, sometimes nicknamed Brazilian ginseng, is another incredibly powerful adaptogenic herb. It has long been used to increase stamina and to ‘build up’ the sick and ailing that have lost weight due to long term illness. In this context, it is also used by athletes as an anabolic agent, to build body mass. Suma also contains a group of saponin compounds called pfaffosides, which like the compounds found in Korean and Siberian ginsengs, can actually keep cortisol levels under control during bouts of both physical and mental/emotional stress.
Potential applications of Viridian's Maximum Strength Adaptogenic Complex.
Chronic stress (physical & mental/emotional) - reducing physiological damage of increased stress hormone production.
Chronic fatigue - increase the body’s ability to manufacture ATP, reduce negative impact of physiological challenges and their ability to further stress a taxed system.
Sports/Athletes - decreasing recovery time and decreasing the damage from elevated stress hormones following intensive physical output.
Known Contraindications of Viridian's Adaptogenic Complex.
Korean ginseng may cause agitation in high doses to individuals who are highly energetic, hysteric, manic or schizophrenic.
Siberian ginseng should not be taken with antipsychotic drugs, or during HRT.
Yerba Mate may cause sleeplessness in individuals very sensitive to caffeine.
1 to 3 capsules daily with food.
Directions: As a food supplement, take one to three capsules daily with food, or as directed by your healthcare professional.
one vegetarian capsule provides:
|Siberian Ginseng root (Eleutherococcus senticosus)||120mg|
|Damiana leaf (Turnera diffusa)||100mg|
|Chinese Red Ginseng root (Panax ginseng)||60mg|
|Mate tea (Ilex paraguensa)||55mg|
|Suma Root (Pfaffia peniculata)||50mg|